How to Make a Burlap Slipcover Tablecloth





I have a glass dining room table that I do not like at all!  It is scratched and no matter how many times I wipe off the fingerprints it never seems clean.  I wanted a tablecloth that looked like a slipcover.  Something neat and nice that didn't look like a usual tablecloth.  I also did not want the cheap burlap that sheds for my table so I splurged on 60 in. wide linen-like burlap for $9.95 a yard.  It was sooo worth it!  I only needed 3.5 yards so it was still an inexpensive project.

The tablecloth has an overhang of 6 in. which includes the pleats which are 2 in.  So I measured the length of my table and added 8 inches plus 1 for seam allowance.  I did the same thing for the sides.



I placed the fabric right side down on the table.  Next, I pinned all of the corners like I was making a slipcover.  I stitched down the pinned sides then flipped the tablecloth over to make sure the "fit" was right.  I know this picture is really bad!  Sorry at night, bad lighting.  But hopefully, you can see how the corner is suppose to look.



To make the pleats I cut strips of fabric that were 60 in long (width of fabric) and 5 in wide.  Whenever I make a ruffle or pleats I always self line by folding the fabric over instead of trying to hem it.  It saves so much time and it looks much nicer too.  Take the folded strips to your ironing board and press them very good.  Then take your folded strip that should now be 2.5 in wide and make the pleats.  I don't have pics of everything.  But this is the first time I have ever made pleats and it was so simple.  Pleats are my new fave!  I didn't even measure them.  Just fold the fabric, pin, fold fabric, pin...you get the idea.




I stitched several of these strips together to have enough to go around the entire tablecloth.



I then pinned the pleated strips right sides together to the tablecloth and stitched all the way around the tablecloth.  This is the part that feels like forever but just hang in there it is so worth it!



When I finished stitching the pleats on I pressed them very good with my awesome Rowenta at full blast steam.  Seriously, I ironed it and ironed it and ironed it some more.  I had to press the pleats down to make them lay pretty.  I ended up doing such a good job ironing I didn't bother top stitching the pleats to the tablecloth.  That's probably a big no-no in real sewing world, but in my world it works!  I placed my new fabulous tablecloth on the table and it looked so good I didn't take it off to finish the seams.  That's another no-no but if it works it works!  Now I want to make this little "slipcover" tablecloth for everything in my house!



How to Make a Tulle Pumpkin Wreath





Supplies:
Wreath form (I used a noodle)$1
Orange Tulle (8yds I like mine full) $.78 a yd
Brown Tulle (1/2 yd) $.78 yd
Green deco mesh (Hobby Lobby Christmas ribbon section)$5
Push pins (hopefully you already have these buried somewhere in the bottom of your craft supplies)
Cost around $13

First, I bent the noodle into a wreath form. It was already kind of floppy and not in good shape anymore. This worked well because it actually was the shape of an oval. Yours can be round or oval. Pumpkins come in all shapes and sizes! I then used my pins to pin the tulle onto the form. I wrapped the tulle around it while pinning it to the form. I found that pins worked better than hot glue. I could still adjust the tulle with the pins (couldn't with hot glue).








This is what mine looked like when I was done wrapping.  I poofed it up and spent way too much time on it getting it "just right".



I then got my pretty, bright green mesh and cut a few pieces in different sizes.  I rolled them up tightly (it wanted to unroll on me!).



I pinched the mesh together on one side and put pins through the seams.  I could not use hot glue on this.  It melted it!  This was the easiest way I found to attach it to the form.



  I pinned four "mesh vines" at the top.  You could use floral pins for this.  I didn't because I was trying to hide the pins (the back of the wreath is visible through my glass door). I then took the brown tulle and folded it and poofed it until I got the look that I wanted for the stem.  I pinned the stem on the top in the center. Sorry! no pics.  I got carried away and forgot about the camera! The vines naturally flop down over the pumpkin.  I wanted a fun whimsical look.  So, there you go!  Happy Crafting!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

© Beneath the Magnolias. All Rights Reserved. | Blog Design By Penny Lane Designs